banner

The seed is sown:

On December 2, 1923, twelve dedicated laymen laid the grounds for a seed of shared faith to grow for Polish Catholics who settled in the southwest side of Chicago. Motivated by a deep sense of concern for their community's spiritual welfare the group organized a committee to establish a Polish parish in this area. This committee was composed of Francis Sendzik, John Zolna, Joseph Zdziarski, Jacob Nowaczyk, John Klimczyk, Leonarda Andruskiewicz, Louis Stachowski, Victor Grygenc, Casimir Karpinski, Albert Martynowicz, Charles Kopera and Paul Glowiak. The seed was sown for the future of St. Bruno Parish.

 

 

Enter Our Website   Parish History

Letters From Officials:

Early Preparations:

Msgr. Thomas Bona, a diocesan consultant, directed the parish-planning committee. With his approval, the committee circulated petitions to the local residents for support in establishing a new parish. Their perseverance finally brought them progress in May 1925 when a tract of land was purchased on Harding Avenue between 48th and 49th streets, laying the foundation for the new House of God.

Fr. Alexis S. Gorski - First Pastor:

On September 12, 1925, Fr. Alexis S. Gorski, D.D., was appointed to the Pastorate of the newly organized St. Bruno Parish. Soon after, five lots were purchased on the corner of 48th and Springfield Avenue for future church buldings while Mass was temporarily celebrated in the hall of the nearby public school, Edwards Branch School. The new pastor and his future associates also needed living quarters in the neighborhood. The solution was found in the purchase of a residence at 4746 South Komensky, which served as a first St. Bruno rectory.

Our first church:

Fr. Gorski then directed the construction of a temporary small church, which immediately was referred to as the Florist Shop for its greenhouse-resembling glass roof. On Christmas Day, 1925, Masses were celebrated in this primitive church for the first time, with boards nailed together serving as simple pews.

church/school

Growing Pains:

With the increase of parishioners as month went by, two problems arose for the parish. First, as the "Florist Shop" church could no longer accommodate the growing parish, a new church building had to be built. Secondly, the need for a Catholic parochial school was keenly felt by the community. To accomplish both goals, the parish hired M.R. Sandel in 1926 to plan a multi-purpose building to hold the new church and parish school. Upon completion on October 2, 1927, Cardinal Mundelein blessed the combination building , which served the parish for decades. Over the years, many improvements were made, such as the renovation of 1949, which included the installation of comfortable pews, the purchase of a new organ, the elevation of the main altar and the installation of a new concrete floor.

          Groundbreacking south end of shool

A new church building and rectory:

1955 saw the groundbreaking ceremonies for the new parish church building, which was to be erected on the southeast corner of 48th St. and Harding Ave. After its completion the parish was invited to take part in the memorable occasion of its dedication on September 30, 1956. His Eminence, Samuel Cardinal Stritch, Archbishop of Chicago, in procession with the knights of Columbus, altar boys, school children and over fifty priests, consecrated and dedicated the new St. Bruno Church, and its new Carillon bell tower. Father Modrzenski's dream of building a temple for the greater glory of God was finally realized. Another seed seen to fruition in St. Bruno was the completion of what is today the parish rectory. It was built to provide the priests of the parish with new, comfortable quarters and much needed parish office and meeting room space. Soon after these major parish improvements, Fr. Modrzenski passed away on September 13, 1962, after serving the parish for 27 years.

 

church church2

                                                                       Alter now